Tuesday, December 6, 2011
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Melvin wanted to get involved in some of the baking activities because they look like a lot of fun. Melvin decided to make Christmas Cookies with a Chakra twist.
Things you will Need:
For the Cookies
250ml (1 cup) butter
375ml (1.5 cup) sugar
750ml (3 cups) flour
10ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
1ml(1/4 tsp.) salt
5ml (1 tsp.) vanilla
For the "paint"
3 egg yolks
food coloring in the chakra colors
1 bowl for each color
How to Make the Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream (that means squish) the butter and sugar together. Stir in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla
3. Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. With your hands!, shape the dough into a ball, then roll it out until it's smooth, flat, and about 0.5cm thick
5. Use cookie cutters, or biscuit cutters (or the top of a round glass or cup) to cut out shapes.
6. Bake your cookies for 8-10 minutes.
7. When the cookies are still warm, poke a hole in any shapes that you want to hang on a tree or use as an ornament. Melvin got Heather to use a straw to make the holes in the ones in the picture.
How to Paint the Cookies
1. Get out 6 bowls (one for each chakra color except white).
2. Put 1 egg yolk in of 3 bowls, add 1ml (1/4 tsp) water to each bowl and stir.
3. Separate each of the yolks into another bowl. Now you should have 6 bowls that each have about half an egg yolk in them.
4. Put a drop or two of food coloring in each bowl to create the chakra colors.
5. Use a paint brush (if it's clean!), or a food brush to paint the colors onto the cookies.
6. Put the cookies back in the 350 oven for about 5 minutes to bake your paint.
Once the cookies are cooled you can put ribbon or yarn through the hole and hang them up. Or you can just eat whatever colors feel right to you!
Melvin got Heather to make the sugar cookies, but you can buy already made cookies and decorate with the paint. You can also make the cookies ahead of time and store them in the freezer to paint when you are ready. Once they are painted just pop them in the oven for about 5 minutes. You can use unpainted cookies to be "white chakra cookies" or you can put a bit of white frosting on them. When the cookies are still warm you can add sprinkles and fancy food decorations as well. Use your imagination!! Enjoy your colors!!